Wednesday, March 14, 2007

sex after an episiotomy

Q. I’ve had pain during sex ever since the birth of my baby, which was 18 months ago. The birth was very difficult, and I had an episiotomy.When my partner and I try to have sex, it hurts when he enters me, almost like I've been stitched up too tight. Has this problem occurred in other women and does it mean I have not healed properly? I am becoming increasingly upset and depressed about this problem.

A.You need to be examined by a gynaecologist, who will check to see if the episiotomy has failed to heal properly. Unfortunately, that can happen – especially if the stitching wasn't too expert. Depending on what he or she finds, the gynaecologist may suggest that you are admitted to hospital for corrective surgery on the area of the episiotomy. That should put everything right. Dr David Delvin, GP

No comments: